Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher- Frequently Asked Questions
- What assistance do you provide?
- We are a rental assistance program funded through Housing and Urban Development (HUD). We are not restricted to the apartment complexes and allow renting from the private market (Single Family Houses, Mobile Homes, Duplexes, Apartments.) We pay a portion of the rent based on the tenant’s income, household, and unit they choose.
- Do you have a waiting list?
- We do have a waiting list. At this time, we estimate a year to a year and a half (1- 1 ½) wait from the time the completed application is received into our office. This time frame is subject to change at any time, without notice, based upon our funding.
- Do you offer emergency assistance?
- We do not offer any kind of Emergency Rental Assistance or Deposit help.
- What counties do you serve?
- Camden, Laclede, Miller, and Pulaski Counties.
- If you would like assistance outside of those areas, we do have the contact information for other counties.
- Is there any other help for rental assistance?
- You may check the income based housing in the area you are located to see if their waiting lists are any shorter than ours. (attached)
- You may also check for local resources like local churches, Salvation Army, or Good Samaritan.
- Do you have to meet the income requirements at the time of application?
- We do not verify income eligibility or program eligibility until you are pulled from the waiting list to receive assistance. Once you are pulled from the waiting list, we will verify that you are income eligible and that you meet all other requirements to become a participant in the program.
- If I am convicted of a felony, can I receive Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance?
- Yes, it depends on the convicted charge. Sex offenders are not allowed to receive Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance and you cannot have any drug related or violent criminal convictions within the previous 3 years for drug related and 2 years for violent criminal activity once your application is pulled from the waiting list.