Welcome to Community Services

Workforce Skills for the 21st Century

Community Services is funded by the Community Services Block Grant. Initiatives are designed three-fold, fostering self-sufficiency for families, creating positive impact on communities, and sustaining the agency. Programs and projects are identified through the Community Needs  Assessment performed every three years. This process identifies what needs are prevalent throughout the communities in MOCA’s service area and what gaps there are in services for low-income or near low-income families.

Email: communityservices@mocacaa.org

Resource Guide

A guide to available resources within your county.

State Wide
Return To Top

Welcome to Weatherization

Weatherization is a program that helps low-income families become more economically secure by offering a hand-up, not a handout. The purpose of Weatherization is to increase the energy efficiency of dwellings owned or occupied by low-income persons, particularly elderly people with disabilities, families with children, by improving the energy efficiency of their homes, insuring their health and safety, and reducing their residential expenditures.

Typical weatherization measures include installing insulation, air-sealing tactics like caulking, weather-stripping, and replacing primary windows and doors. Funds are also used to perform basic heating tune-ups and repairs. After weatherization to the home is completed, clients receive instructions on the proper use and maintenance of the installed weatherization measures.

Weatherization works to provide long-term solutions to energy problems; improved health and safety conditions, increased comfort for the occupants, reduction of homelessness, and extended lifetime of affordable housing. MOCA's Weatherization Assistance Program delivers results for low-income families and communities.


What counties does the Weatherization Program cover?

Camden, Crawford, Gasconade, Laclede, Maries, Miller, Phelps and Pulaski counties. 

How long is the waiting list?

The Weatherization Program is required to provide services to families in all eight of the counties we serve. The number served is based on a percentage of families in poverty in those counties. In some counties, we have several families on the list, so those counties may have to wait longer than families in counties where we have received a very limited amount of application and in that case, the wait could be much shorter. 

What type of services will Weatherization provide to my home?

Every home is different.  We have staff that will do an audit/initial inspection on your home.  The inspector will do a blower door test to determine air leakage in the home. The inspector will look at all areas of your home notating measurements of doors, windows, insulation levels in the attic, floor and walls. If there are combustion appliances in the home, those appliances will be tested to ensure they are working properly. Once the inspector has gathered all of the required information, that information will be entered into a computer program designed for the Weatherization Program that will list the measures that are cost effective to be installed in the home. MOCA's Weatherization Crew will perform the work to the home.  If there are heating & cooling issues or electrical issues, MOCA will contract with contractors to provide those services for the home. 

I am a renter. Am I eligible to receive Weatherization Services?

If you are a renter, your landlord will be required to sign an agreement specifying he will not raise the rent for two years without just cause, and he cannot give you a notice to move unless you have violated your lease.  If there are issues with the heating/cooling or water heater, and a replacement is required, the landlord will have to pay for that repair. The Weatherization Program are restricted from paying for that repair. We strongly encourage landlords to contribute towards the weatherization of the home, but it is not a requirement for the tenant to receive services.  

Do I have to pay anything for Weatherization?

If you meet eligibility guidelines for the Weatherization Program, you are not required to pay anything towards the weatherization to your home.  

Who is eligible for Weatherization?

Eligibility for Weatherization is based on your gross income. The income limits are 200% of federal poverty guidelines. The income guidelines are attached to the application. 

Do you provide Weatherization Services for mobile homes?

We provide Weatherization Services for single family dwellings (houses), mobile homes, and multi-family units up to 4 units.

For More Information Call:  573-765-4146

Email: weatherization@mocacaa.org

Weatherization Application

See what people are saying about MOCA weatherization program

Testimonial 1
Testimonial 2

Return To Top

Welcome to Section 8 Housing

Housing Choice Voucher Program

MOCA’s Housing Choice Voucher Program administers housing assistance programs for Camden, Laclede, Miller, and Pulaski Counties.

• The Housing Choice Voucher Program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Participants are able to find their own housing, including single family homes, townhouses, and apartments.

• The Housing Choice Vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies (PHAs) who receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.

• Eligible families may be assisted with a portion of, or all of their rent depending on income levels.

• A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

• Eligibility for a Housing Voucher is determined by the PHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status.

• If you are interested in applying, please call 573-765-4509 to request an application.

• In addition to the Housing Choice Voucher Program, MOCA administers the Shelter Plus Care and Rental Assistance Program funded by Department of Mental Health. Please call 573-765-4509 if you are homeless and disabled and we will give you the contact information to apply for this program through Department of Mental Health.

• The Housing Choice Voucher Program has a very long waiting list, so if you are interested in the program we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.


Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher- Frequently Asked Questions 

Email: housing@mocacaa.org

PHA Administrative Plan

PHA Annual and Five Year Plan

HUD Application

UtilAllowance 2017

Return To Top


  Welcome to Low-Income Home Energy Program (LIHEAP)





Mission:  Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is to assist low income households, particularly those with the lowest income that pay a high proportion of household income for home energy, primarily in meeting their immediate home energy needs.

Please note:  incomplete applications, or applications missing required documentation, cannot be processed until everything requested by our LIHEAP team has been provided.



  • Citizenship – Must be a United States citizen or alien admitted for permanent residence
  • Resources – Household resources cannot exceed $3,000.00
  • Responsible for home energy costs
  • Termination/Threat of Termination
  • Income Based household size



No appointments are necessary to apply for EA (Energy Assistance), a customer visits, calls, emails, or faxes to our office requesting energy assistance, completes an application each year, and provides the required supporting documents (such as proof of income, copies of social security cards, and utility bills.) Applications are categorized based on the severity of the applicant’s emergency – households with shut-off notices are given priority over those who are not in imminent danger of disconnection.

Once the paperwork is received, our team goes to work entering the required information into the state computer program which calculates if the applicant qualifies and what the amount of their energy benefit will be.

Once the application is processed and verified MOCA will notify the utility company with a “pledge” of the customer’s benefit amount to participating utility companies, only.  The state then sends participating utility companies reports/listing of applicants who must be confirmed as their customer.  Once confirmed THE STATE OF MISSOURI, (not MOCA) will cut an energy assistance check and send it to the vendor directly.

For those households with nonparticipating utility companies, the EA check will be mailed directly to the customer as long as a correct/current mailing address is used.  An incorrect mailing address will cause a delay in the customer receiving the EA check if their mailing address is incorrect.


Energy Crisis Intervention Program- ECIP

The ECIP program provides payment of energy bills when an eligible household is disconnected or threatened with disconnection.  ECIP funds are emergency funds to households who have already been approved for EA and currently have a new or secondary disconnection notice.

Pledges are made for ECIP eligible customers by our LIHEAP team.  Once approved ECIP checks are cut and mailed out by MOCA directly to utility companies.  Payment is NEVER issued to any customer.

To qualify for ECIP funds, a household must be approved to Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) and submit a copy of a shut office notice for electric, natural gas, etc. or fall below 20% in a propane tank. (No BBQ tanks allowed)



  • You MUST fill out a new application, every winter season, even if you have received services before.
  • You MUST fall at or below 135% of federal poverty income guidelines to qualify.
  • You MUST turn in all requested supporting documents even if you’ve had Liheap before. Copies of Social Security cards, prior month income etc. are not kept on file from year to year.  It is YOUR responsibility to provide our office with these documents each year.
  • Leaving a voicemail is VERY important during LIHEAP season: messages should be short, to the point, and limited to your name, a working phone number, and a brief message.
  • We are NOT able to contact your utility company, pledge payment, or postpone a shut-off until all paperwork is complete.
  • Applications are processed in the order they are received (with the exception of crisis cases.)  Our team has up to 30 days to process non-crisis cases and up to 48 hours to process crisis cases.  PLEASE PLAN FOR THIS ACCORDINGLY.
  • It is YOUR responsibility to pay your utility company any remaining balance before we can make a pledge.  Never assume your entire bill has been paid. Energy Assistance funds cannot be used to pay utility deposits, water, sewer, trash, cable, internet, or phone bills.
  • Our team reserves the right to end any phone conversation or in-person interaction that becomes abusive, whether verbally (yelling, cursing, name calling etc.) or physically (invasion of personal space, pushing, poking etc.)



Winter assistance begins November 1 for the elderly -60 or older or disabled and December 1 for all other households.  No funds will be available for utility assistance prior to those dates.  If you have any questions regarding this program, please contact MOCA (Energy Assistance) @ 573-765-3263.


What do you need when you apply?

If everyone in your home RECEIVES Food Stamps

  • Completed and signed LIHEAP application
  • Copy of your primary and secondary heating bill showing your name, address and account number


If No One/only some in your home receive Food Stamps

  • Completed and signed LIHEAP application
  • Copy of your primary and secondary heating bill – must show your name, address and account number
  • Copies of social cards for EVERY member of your household  who does not receive food stamps
  • Proof of income for EVERY member of your household over the age of 18 for the prior month. (all check stubs or a statement from the employer proving prior month gross income)

Failure to provide proper documentation and application forms will result in a delay in processing your assistance application.


After you apply:

What happens after you apply?

  • Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.  As noted above in the “Reminders” section:
  • Applications are processed in the order they are received (with the exception of crisis cases).  Our team has up to 30 days to process non-crisis cases and up to 48 hours to process crisis cases.  PLEASE PLAN FOR THIS ACCORDINGLY.
  • It is YOUR responsibility to pay any remaining balances before we can make a pledge.  Never assume your entire bill has been paid.  Energy Assistance funds cannot be used to pay utility deposits, water, sewer, trash, cable, internet, or phone bills.

If our office requires additional paperwork, information, or clarification, you will be issued a letter like this:

If/when you receive this letter in the mail PLEASE READ.  This is a time sensitive letter.   If you do not get your application back to MOCA by the date on this form, your application will be denied.  Once denied, you will have to complete a whole new application.

All this form means is that we need a bit of extra information of some sort from you.  Details will be highlighted on the form.  You are NOT required to complete the entire form.  If you need longer than the allotted 10 days to return the requested information, call MOCA (Energy Assistance) @ 573-765-3263.



LIHEAP offers assistance during both the winter months and the summer months.


  • Begins November 1 each year for the elderly (60+) and disabled
  • Begins December 1 each year for all other households
  • Every household MUST reapply annually
  • New EA application period closes March 31st.  



  • New application period begins June 1st
  • If you were approved for Winter EA, and have NOT moved, changed household members, or changed utility companies you DO NOT need to fill out a new application
  • If you HAVE MOVED since you were approved for Winter EA, you WILL need to fill out a new application
  • Summer assistance can ONLY be used for electric bills with a current shut –off notice.


Common Energy Assistance Questions and Answers

Q: How can I apply for help with my Utility bill?

a. Fill out and then print the Heating/Cooling Assistance application, you can find it online at mocaonline.org or http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/liheap.htm

b. Sign your name in blue or black ink

c. Send or take your completed application and all required documentation to MOCA


Q: A person with a disability lives in my home.  When can I apply and expect payment?

You can apply starting October 1.  Payments from the State begin November 1.


Q: A person 60 or over lives in my home.  When can I apply and expect payment?

You can apply starting October 1.  Payments from the State begin November 1.


Q: My family has no one over the age of 60 or drawing disability.  When can I apply and expect payment?

You can apply starting November 1.  Payments from the State begin December 1.


Q: How will I know if I am approved or denied?

Approval or denial letters will begin to go out in November from the State of Missouri. 


Q:  What should I do if I moved after I submitted my application?

You will need to complete a new application with your new address and submit it and a copy of the fuel bill which shows your new address.


Q: Since Energy Assistance started a month later, will the program end a   month later?

NO, the program ends March 31st.


Q: Once I am approved, do I need to complete another application to get more help?

A new application is needed only if you have moved, changed your main heat source, or your household members have changed.


Q: Do I fill out an application every time I bring in a disconnect notice?

NO, a new application is needed only if you have moved, changed your main heat source, or your household members have changed.


Q: Do I fill out an application in June for the summer crisis program?

The summer program can only assist you if your electric is in threat of disconnection or already shut off.  You do not need to complete an application if you received energy assistance the previous winter.  If you have moved, you will need to complete a new application.


Q: I mailed in my application with all requested information, how long will it take to process my application?

Applications are processed within 30 business day, unless you have a disconnect notice or are already shut off.



    • Around doors & windows inside and out
    • Places where brick and wood siding meet
    • Around electrical and gas service, cable tv, phone lines, outdoor water faucets
    • Cracks in bricks, siding, stucco and foundation
    • Around air conditioners
    • Around vents and fans



    • Install water saving showerheads
    • Lower the thermostat on the hot water heater to 120 degrees
    • Take short showers
    • Set washer cycles for the lowest temp and water amount that will get clothes clean
    • Always rinse on cold water setting


    • Turn off lights in any room you’re not using
    • Unplug unnecessary appliances
    • Use energy efficient light bulbs

2018 LIHEAP Application

Doctors Statement for Air Conditioner

Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP) is available to families who are in an energy crisis, have a disconnect notice and are unable to pay the bill. This assistance may be available more than once a year.

The eligibility for both programs are based on income and household size.

Email: liheap@mocacaa.org

Return To Top


Welcome to MOCA Head Start

Head Start is a comprehensive child development programs which serve children ages 3 to age 5 years and their families. It is a child-focused program having the overall goal of increasing the social competence of young children from low-income families. By "social competence" is meant the child's everyday effectiveness in dealing with their present environment and later responsibilities in school and life. Social competence takes into account the interrelatedness of social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development.
Head Start services are also family-centered, following the tenets that children develop in the context of their family and culture and that parents are respected as the primary educators and nurturers of their children. Head Start offers family members opportunities and support for growth and change, believing that people can identify their own strengths, needs, and interests and are capable of finding solutions.
To support the overall goal of improving social competence, Head Start embraces a core set of values, including commitments to: